The IT team is implementing new functionality that allows ABE CRM users to submit constituent update information while viewing an ABE CRM constituent record. This work is in its initial phase, and currently is limited to constituent address information. As work continues, additional constituent data fields will become available for update.
This functionality will eventually replace the Advancement Resources Website's "Update a constituent" page. At this time, however, you can submit changes using either website.
Note that this enhancement is intended for submitting individual update requests. Lists of 10 or more records that need updating should be submitted to the Help Center using the Add/Update Constituent request type.
A constituent’s known addresses are displayed in the Addresses section of the Contact tab. This section lists home, business, seasonal, and other (e.g. additional homes that are not seasonal) addresses. Using the new CRM functionality, you may request the addition of a new address or modification of an existing one.
Requesting a new address applies to these situations:
- The constituent has recently changed an address, and their new address is known.
- The constituent has another address that is not included in the list.
Editing an address applies when:
- There is an error in a constituent’s address information (e.g. misspelled street name, incorrect house or zip code number, incorrect start/end date for a seasonal address).
- An address is no longer valid.
When you submit a request your information is reviewed by the Constituent Data Processing (CDP) team, who are responsible for updating constituent records. You need not worry that you are providing information in the “correct” format – the CDP team will validate your request and will follow established data standards when entering the information into ABE CRM.
After the CDP team does their work, you will receive an email confirming that your requested changes have been made or explaining why your request was rejected. (Note that an email is only sent after your request is processed. Emails are not sent when your request is submitted.)
Requesting a New Address
When viewing a constituent’s contact information, the header of the address section displays a New Address Request button:
Click the button to display the New Address Request popup:
Enter the constituent’s address information and click Submit.
Some notes on the data entry fields:
- The “yellow” fields are required.
- The Type field provides a drop‑down list to choose from.
- Home should be used for an individual’s primary residence.
- Business should be used for an individual’s work address and should include the company name on the first line.
- Seasonal refers to an address where an individual spends a portion of their time each year; if you select a Seasonal address type, you must also add a start date and end date in the form of mm/dd to represent the general time of year when the individual begins and ends living at their seasonal address.
- Other may be used for additional residential addresses that are not seasonal.
- Do not choose the Matching Gift or Receipt
- If CANADA is selected in the Country field, the State and Zip field labels will change to Province and Postal Code, respectively. When entering information for other non‑US countries, supply the data as best as you can. When in doubt, use the Comments (Be thorough – you cannot supply too much information here!)
If you check the Recently moved/changed from this address? field, the Old address field will provide a drop‑down list of existing addresses to choose from. When your request is approved, the “old” address will be flagged as end-dated. In addition, the CDP team will enter the approval date as the “new” addresses’ start date.
Modifying an Existing Address
Each constituent address displays an icon to “expand” the data displayed:
After clicking the icon, the Edit Address Request button displays:
Click the button to display the Edit Address Request popup:
Modify the constituent’s address information and click Submit.
Some notes on the data entry fields:
- The Set as primary address check box is only modifiable for non‑primary addresses. In other words, you cannot “un-check” a primary address, but can change a non‑primary address to the primary one.
- If the address is no longer valid, explain this within the Comments. If you have an end date, provide it in the Comments field (for primary addresses) or enter it in the End date field (for non‑primary addresses).
After your request is processed by the DB Services team, you will receive an email from BBDB Server Mailbox (BBDB‑Server@supportuw.org). The email will either confirm that your request has been approved and processed, or contain an explanation of why your request was not approved.
In the upcoming weeks and months, additional constituent data will become updateable. Phone number, Email, Social Media, and Relationships are all in the queue for development. This work is expected to be complete in early 2016.
Note that these enhancements are only available to WFAA employees. After all enhancements are made, the CRM team will review campus roles and determine the appropriate process for releasing this new functionality to campus. Until then, campus users can continue to submit constituent update requests through the Advancement Resources Website.
You cannot track your constituent update requests. This functionality will be provided at a later date.