In this article:
- What is a Communication Planner - Donors to Unit/Dept/Fund Report
- How to access the report
- How to interpret the report
- Downloadable PDF
What is a Communication Planner - Donors to Unit/Dept/FundReport?
The Communication Planner – Donors to Unit/Dept/Fund Report is a tool WFAA staff may use to communicate to a specific set of donors at the unit, department or fund level. Typically, this is used for impact reporting, stewardship communications, or solicitations to donors. The report includes contact information, so it may be used to produce lists for mailings, emails, or phone calls with the proper solicit codes applied. This report is not intended to replace the Stewardship “Prep” report that may be requested from BI.
If you choose to use this list to communicate to a group of constituents, you must also submit the final list via the List & Report Request Form. This will allow BI to tag the constituent records in ABE to show they received the communication. This step is crucial for tracking which communications a constituent receives, and helps us continue to refine our marketing and communications strategy.
If you use this to create a solicitation mailing, please work with Gift Processing in advance to create an appeal. This will streamline gift processing and allow you to track the results of your appeal
How to access the report
- Log in to ABE CRM
- On the navigation bar, click WFAA Reports
- Click CST – Constituent – Communication Planner - Donors to Unit/Dept/Fund
- Select a value in the Donors to field. The Unit/Department/Fund choice allows you to select funds at the unit/department/or fund level. The Fund Groups choice allows you to select some or all funds in a fund group.
- Select a Donors to Unit or Fund Group (dependent upon the choice you've made in the Donors to field).
- If desired, enter a word or number into the Fund Filter field. This will limit the choices in the Fund field to funds that contain your entry in their name.
- Select a Fund. You can only select one unit and one department OR one fund group, but you can select multiple funds.
- If desired, use Start Date and End Date to limit the report results based on the transaction dates of the gifts. Use the format MM/DD/YYYY.
- Select a Giving Total Type. Cash is for cash-in-the-door (outright gifts, plus payments on pledges, planned gifts, recurring gifts and matching gift claims). Commitments is for new gifts and pledges (outright gifts, pledge initiations, planned gifts, matching gift claims).
- In the Exclude Organizations field, select Yes if you only want individual donors in your output.
- In the Exclude Tributes field, select Yes if you do not want tribute gifts in your output.
- In the Exclude Matching Gift Payments field, select Yes if you do not want Matching Gift Payments in your output.
- Use the Who is Communication from? field to apply appropriate solicit codes based on the “brand” on the communication. For cross-branded communications, you may select multiple options.
- Use the Intent of Communication field to apply additional solicit codes based on special types of communications (invitations, solicitations, magazine/newsletter).
- Use the Other Solicit codes field to provide additional solicit codes to select if applicable. For example, some schools and colleges have multiple magazines/newsletters.
- In the SpouseLink field, select Yes if you want spouses merged together on one row. If No is selected, the spouses will be listed individually on the list.
- Use the List this School/College Alum first when Spouse-linked feature to indicate your preference if you want the alumnus from your unit listed as Constituent.
- In the Include Spouse even if they do not qualify? field, Yes indicates that the spouse of the main constituent will be included even if s/he is not a donor to the unit/department/fund selected. Select Yes to get an exact count of total number of people who would be invited to an event, for example.
- Excel Ready Formatting: If you intend to refine the file in Excel, select Yes. Once the list is exported, you can refine the list by region, county, city, state, giving history, etc.
- Click View Report.
When exported to Excel, the report returns two tabs – one for domestic addresses and one for international addresses.
This report allows you to apply ABE Solicit Codes based on the source of the communication. This feature ensures that there will be no contact information surfaced if the constituent does not wish to receive a certain type of communication or communications from specific areas on campus or WFAA. This feature will not exclude anyone who meets the criteria selected in the parameters, but it will suppress the relevant contact information.
How to interpret the report
What is included in the Communication Planner - Donors to Unit/Dept/Fund Report?
Honor Roll Name
Lists the standard WFAA format for outputting honor roll names. Does not necessarily reflect donor preferences.
First Class Formal Addressee
The name used in the address of first class postal correspondence. Lists the titles, first names and last names with punctuation.
Bulk Mail Formal Addressee
The name used in the address of bulk mail postal correspondence. Lists the titles, first names and last names excluding punctuation, per USPS bulk mail standards.
|The name used in the address of postal correspondence. Excludes title.
Formal Salutation/Standard Salutation
|The name used when addressing the constituent within postal correspondence. Formal includes title and last name, Standard included first name.
Region, County, Address, Phone and Email
Outputs the primary for each type of contact information. The address is the in-season address, if a seasonal address is available.
Full International Address
|Listed only on the second tab in Excel file, denoted with “Intl.” Returns the full international address block in this field.
Mail Indicator, Phone Indicator, Email Indicator
|Displays if this type of contact information is unavailable, due to solicit code restrictions, missing data, bounced email, etc.
Lifetime Household Giving to UW
WFAA standard definition for Household Giving, excluding anonymous gifts. This calculation is based on recognition credit and includes gifts, pledges, deferred gifts, and informational gifts. It includes gifts that may have come from companies, foundations, and donor-advised funds that are soft credited to an individual in the household. “Household” is defined by the current spousal relationship.
Household Giving to UW
Based on the date range and giving total type selected, excluding anonymous gifts.
Household Giving to Unit
Based on the date range, unit, and giving total type selected, excluding anonymous gifts.
Household Giving to Department
Based on the date range, department, and giving total type selected, excluding anonymous gifts.
Household Giving to Funds
Based on the date range, funds, and giving total type selected, excluding anonymous gifts.
Constituent Education/Spouse Education
Lists the degrees the constituent and spouse received from UW-Madison.
Lists the current employer for the constituent and spouse.
Job Title/Spouse Job Title
Lists the current job title for the constituent and spouse.
Employer Notes/Spouse Employer Notes
Lists any related employer notes for the constituent and spouse.