Software Center is a program that manages updates and application installs and allows you to download and update specially curated programs yourself.
What should I expect?
Monthly Windows updates deploy automatically by the Help Center and requires you to complete the updates upon shutdown as you do today.
For other updates and application installs, Software Center allows you to perform the update/install at times that are most convenient to you. No longer do you need to schedule time with the Help Center for an agent to complete the install for you.
Any time there is an update to an application or a driver, Help Center will publish a Connect post announcing a new update. Please watch for these communications and take timely action to keep your system secure!
- Click the start menu on the bottom left of your desktop.
- Begin typing in Software Center.
- Select the Software Center icon, which will launch the program.
- You will see a sidebar menu used to navigate between the different types of software installs available.
- Click on an application or update that you need to install and you will see information like the example below.
- Click on Install.
- Once the program has installed, Application details will look similar to:
Uninstall is grayed out by default, so as long as Status is “Installed” then the program is updated.
If the install fails for whatever reason, there is nothing to be concerned about, the Help Center Staff are monitoring installs and can remedy possible problems remotely.